The historic Stoddart Ranch is a rare mountain property that hasn't been offered for purchase in the last 48 years. It is a tract of fertile meadow land outlined by an upland bench. San Luis Creek flows through the lush fields of native grass for over 1.75 miles. Spring Creek from the West and Decker Creek from the East flow through the property to confluence at San Luis Creek. The waterways have an abundant population of Brook Trout and are natural habitat and water source for many wildlife species. The rare Gunnison Sage Grouse along with bird species such as Mallard Ducks, Canadian Geese, Red Tailed Hawks are found here. Antelope, Elk, and wiley Coyote are frequent visitors. The mountain ranch located in the headwaters of Colorado's San Luis Valley, is 20 minutes from the bustling town of Salida and the Arkansas River. The ranch has been owned and operated as a working cattle and hay ranch by the same family for the last 48 years. The first private ownership of this ranch was in 1876, the year that Colorado became a state. Decreed water rights were established in 1880. Diversions from spring Creek, Decker Creek, and San Luis Creek are established through water rights known as the Means #1 which is diverted from Alder Cr., Means #2, Richards #1 and Richard #2. The property is rich with history. Arrowheads, Spearheads and other Native Indian artifacts have been found over the years. A Sliver Spur from he Spanish Conquistadors was found in a prairie dog hole. Captain John Gunnison chronicles' his journey in 1853 across these lands where he camped and even made note of Sage Grouse that would one day bear his name. There is convenient access to the property from Highway 285 and electric power is nearby. The majestic Collegiate Peaks can be viewed to the North and the beautiful Sangre De Cristo mountains range tower above the ranch to the east.